Once you’ve made the decision to sell your car, the next thing you need to decide is whether you’re going to sell it privately, or to a dealer. By “dealer,” we mean any one of the following:
* a motor vehicle auctioneer
* a second-hand car dealer
* Your motor vehicle’s insurer, if you have settled a claim for total loss
* a finance company with a financial interest in the car
* a motor vehicle dismantler or scrap yard
If you decide to sell your vehicle to professional car buyers, San Jose has a lot of different dealers from which to choose from. Conventional wisdom dictates that you choose well-establish dealers who have spent many years building up a good reputation by offering excellent customer service.
However, newer dealerships will be eager to quickly establish a good reputation, so they shouldn’t be ignored in your search for good customer service.
Benefits of Selling to a Dealer
Whether you want to sell your vehicle outright for cash, or trade it in against the purchase of a new one, the benefits of using a dealer include:
* You don’t have to pay any listing or selling costs
* There is no wasting of time at work or home fielding calls or answering emails related to the sale of your vehicle
* You will pay less sales tax on your new car
* It’s hassle-free, fast and convenient
Getting Your Car Sale Ready
Before taking your vehicle to your chosen car buyers, it’s advisable to do a little homework. That way, you will have a good idea of what your vehicle is worth so you won’t end up accepting a below-value price.
Your preparation should include:
* Making sure you have the car’s title, original sales paperwork and service records. If you haven’t kept your service receipts, ask your regular mechanic to print out a statement for you.
* Obtaining a realistic estimation of your car’s value. If you have too high a price in your mind, you’ll have trouble selling it. Ask your mechanic for an assessment and valuation.
* Fixing things such as brakes and worn tires, and giving your car a professional clean and polish.
At Autogator, we buy all types of vehicles – including wrecked, non-running and junk – from most areas of Northern California. Visit us at www.autogator.com.