The purpose of your transmission is to transfer engine-generated power to the wheels and drive axle with different gears. There different types of transmissions found in most modern vehicles: automatic transmissions, manual transmissions, and continuously variable transmissions. Each offers its own set of advantages and disadvantages, and your choice depends largely on personal preference.
Regardless of the type of transmission you have, it’s a good idea to contact an auto transmission repair in Grand Rapids, MI if you notice these signs of transmission problems.
1. Abnormal Operation: This may seem obvious, but one of the most common yet subtle signs that you are in need of an auto transmission repair is when your transmission hesitates or slips while you’re driving.
2. Strange Noises and Sensations: Similar to improper operation, other indicators of a failing transmission could be strange shimmying sensations, vibrations, thumping, grinding, or thumping. This could indicate that a component needs to be replaced or the gears are not engaging properly.
3. Warning Light: If you notice a warning light in your instrument cluster, particularly a blinking or flashing “O/D” light that indicates an overdrive gear issue, then your system has noted an error with the transmission.
4. Burning Smell: Just the same as your car’s engine, your transmission operates at high temperatures and could overheat (potentially failing) without the correct amount of transmission fluid.
5. Puddles and Leaks: If you notice pink or red leaks under your vehicle, you have a leak in your transmission fluid. You’ll want to take your vehicle to an auto transmission repair as soon as possible to avoid further damage.
If your vehicle is experiencing any of the above signs, you’ll want to have a professional take a look at any greater damage occurs. Visit bobstransmissionswmi.com to speak with an expert about your transmission.