Liability in a Slip and Fall Sidewalk Accident


Slip and fall accidents are common and can happen almost anywhere. It can happen on a wet store floor, an uneven sidewalk, or a broken staircase in a building. These accidents can also cause various injuries that last a long time, depending on how severe the accident is. In some cases, such as that slip and fall on a sidewalk, it can be hard to determine exactly who is liable for the injuries you have experienced.

The Illinois Premises Liability Act allows you to file a claim where you get compensation when you sustain damages according to the negligence of a person or entity who is in charge of maintaining the surface, such as the sidewalk. However, it is not always as simple as it would seem. That is why it helps to have a Lake Zurich slip and fall injury lawyer to help.

As we mentioned, the Premises Liability Act can hold a property owner liable for your injury. It is expected that the person maintaining the area should do so in a way that is responsible. So, when someone comes on that property, the property should be reasonably maintainer such that you will not come upon a hazard that causes you an injury.

If the owner knows that there is a hazard, they are responsible for warning people about it or having it fixed quickly. When they do not do so, they will be negligible and accountable for your damages. However, showing you slipped and fell doesn’t prove an owner is responsible. You still need to prove two things: that the sidewalk you fell on was unreasonably dangerous, and that the municipality or owner should have known the sidewalk was unsafe.

Speaking of Illinois, cities and municipalities are often responsible for public sidewalks. As such, they can be held liable for any damages. However, certain laws and rules protect municipalities from personal injury lawsuits and claims. In some neighborhoods, the business and homeowners are the ones responsible for the state of the sidewalk.

If you are dealing with a case, you can file a claim for your damages, but you will need to work with a Lake Zurich slip and fall injury lawyer who is aware of all the nuances of the law. There is a short period of time in which you can demand civil action, so you will have to be quick.

Robert T. Edens Law Office can help you with your accident and need compensation. You can contact us to learn more at 847-395-2200 or learn more on our website.