When it comes to your ads, brochures and business cards, along with other printed marketing materials, color is one of the most powerful elements you can use. If you are wondering why, it is because color is essentially a type of nonverbal communication. Research has proven that color is able to increase your brand identity, assist in memory, increase in the reader’s participation in the ads and help improve readership, comprehension and learning.
Some of the reasons that color is so important when you are creating your printed material with the help of Orange County Printers, are highlighted here.
Meaning through Association
Certain colors will bring to mind specific ideas that are universal. One example of this is green, which is associated with nature since it is the color of plants that are found all over the world. Yellow is clearly associated with the sun and blue with the sky. While these associations are simple, they are also powerful.
Practical Considerations for Marketing Material Color Choices
When it comes to particular color associations, it is something you should take time to get to know. However, when you are designing your various marketing materials, you should not get too carried away. When it comes down to it, copy is much more important than color and the entire point of the design is to ensure that people actually read the copy you have written.
When you begin selecting the color for your printed materials, keep the following information in mind:
- Using black type on a white background is both legible and practical.
- The cost savings you can receive from printing in two different colors will in some cases outweigh the benefits of printing in several colors.
- The fact is that you will not be able to reap the benefits of multiple colors if you simply throw them all on the page. With too many colors you will distract your target market and make your layout appear cheap.
- If you are still unsure, choose blue. This is a popular color and simple to implement in many designs. It is legible for headlines, provides great looking tints and allows you to highlight certain points in the copy without drawing excessive attention to the actual design.
- There are certain colors that are just difficult to work with when it comes to printed marketing material. This includes pink, brown and orange and they often do not print the way that you want them to and the various tints can be difficult.
With this in mind you can create printed marketing material that will actually appeal to you customer on several levels. This will be beneficial for you, your business as well as your customers.