Gastrointestinal Doctors in Petal, MS: When to Go


Most of the time, when you have a health issue, you will go to your primary care physician. He or she can help you with a variety of things, such as the common cold, the flu, and other routine illnesses. However, when it comes to the stomach, it is often better to go to gastrointestinal doctors in Petal, MS. These specialists have the tools and skills needed to test for various GI diseases and issues. Whether you know you have a condition or you think you do, it is essential that you get the right care and treatment plan going soon so that you can live your life comfortably.

Often, people make the mistake of self-medicating. You may have a stomachache or heartburn all the time and take OTC remedies. They might help for a little while, but the pain or discomfort comes back. In this case, there could be something more serious going on, such as GERD or IBS/IBD. Knowing what condition you have can help you treat it. You’ll find out what triggers these problems, get the right medication to deal with them, and learn how to cope with your disease.

It’s usually best to go to your primary care physician first. They will talk to you about your situation. Often, they can rule some things out on their own. Then, they may send you to a gastroenterologist like the ones at Hattiesburg G.I. Associates. You will have access to board-certified physicians who are friendly and helpful. That way, you get the best medical care, get the right diagnosis, and can start an appropriate treatment plan. Of course, routine testing is also available so that you can catch issues before they become severe.