If you are an athlete recovering from an injury, an elderly member of society, or just someone who suffers from muscle pain living in Hopewell Junction, New York, seek physical therapy in Hopewell Junction now.
Physical Therapy Modalities
There are several modalities, or techniques, which physical therapists use to perform physical therapy Hopewell Junction. Listed below are some of the most effective.
1. Cold Therapy (also known as Cryotherapy): Cold therapy utilizes the anti inflammatory effects of cold to reduce swelling and inflammation. A physical therapist will apply an ice massage, ice packs, or commercial cold packs (which should be wrapped in a towel or some other barrier) to the injured area. The effect of the cold will cause the blood vessels to constrict, reducing blood flow to the area. After the cold is removed, blood flow will again increase and this will help healing.
2. Moist Heat: Moist heat utilizes the soothing effects of heat to ease spasms, chronic pain or long lasting pain. Heating pads, moist heat packs, dry heat packs, or commercial heat packs are applied to affected area, where they have the effect of causing blood vessels to dilate, thus increasing blood flow and promoting relaxation and healing.
3. Paraffin Bath: A paraffin bath works wonders for arthritis, as it targets the joints, such as in the hands, wrists, and feet. It is meant to ease pain but also to alleviate stiffness in the joints and facilitate movement.
4. Electric Muscle Stimulation: Electrical Muscle Stimulation is perfect for pain, whether it be acute or chronic, muscle spasms, scar tissue (adhesions), and swelling. It utilizes a small device to insert an electrical current into a specific muscle to relax the tissue.
5. Lontophoresis: Lontophoresis utilizes a small electrical current which goes through the skin and spreads a medication which reduces swelling and pain.
6. Ultrasound: Ultrasound is ideal for reducing swelling, repairing scar tissue, and relieving pain deep in muscles, tendons, and ligaments very close to where they attach at the bone. The technique uses ultrasound to distribute heat deep into the tissue to provide them with what is essentially a micro massage.
7. Mechanical Traction: Mechanical traction helps joints move and stay hydrated and eases back pain and swelling by separating the space between the bones in the spine.
Often, physical therapists combine many of these techniques to create a specialized course of physical therapy Hopewell Junctionfor you.
When it comes to superior physical therapy provider in Hopewell Junction area, Advanced Health & Injury Care is right choice for you. For more information, visit them online.