You may have heard of or read about the standard platelet-rich plasma treatment (also referred to as a “PRP treatment”) in Oakbrook Terrace, IL. However, do you know how it is used by doctors in today’s world of medicine? At times, it can be difficult to understand medicinal terminology without pairing it with real-world applications. Here are 5 medicinal reasons that doctors rely on platelet-rich plasma treatments today:
- Major Sports Injuries: Athletes frequently suffer knee sprains and pull their hamstring muscles on the field or court during intense games or matches. PRP injections can be used to treat these types of injuries.
- Hair Loss Treatment: Research has proven that PRP treatment can promote natural hair growth within the scalp and serve as a protective forcefield to help deter future loss.
- Injured and Damaged Tendons: It is true that tendons are usually thick and tough bands of tissue that can connect your bones to your muscles. However, they take a considerable amount of time to heal after being injured. In recent years, an increasing number of doctors have relied on PRP injections as an effective treatment method for patients suffering chronic tendon issues (including Achilles tendonitis and “tennis elbow.”
- Post-Operation Recovery and Repair: After operating on damaged ligaments and tendons, a PRP injection can be used by the doctor to repair the damage and help the patient recover.
- Experimenting with Osteoarthritis: PRP injections have been placed directly into the knees of patients that suffer from this condition – proving to be even more effective than the traditional approach of injecting hyaluronic acid. The results of this experiment are still inconclusive, however, due to the relatively low number of people that were studied initially. One thing is for sure: It shines an even brighter light on the positive side and overall benefits of PRP treatment in Oakbrook Terrace, IL.