As is the case with many commercial enterprises, not all roofing companies are legitimate. Some may employ aggressive tactics to get you to sign on with them. Some mislead you. Some only pose as roofing contractors. They lure vulnerable people into purchasing their services then leave them with shoddy workmanship and empty promises. If you want to avoid these scam artists, you need to be able to know how to recognize a reputable roofing company.
Scam artists adopt various tactics to get your business. Reputable companies do not present themselves in this manner. A legitimate roofing company does not
- Sell their services door-to-door
- Make wild promises and offer unbelievably low prices
- Use high pressured tactics
- Do not hover around residences following a major storm or catastrophe
Separating phony roofing companies from legitimate ones is not complex. You can contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) or government licensing agencies. You can also protect yourself by asking the representative or agent of the roofing company for proof of their legitimacy and reputation. Make sure you
- See a current and legitimate business license
- Obtain and follow-up on references and even testimonials
- Check any local ties including asking anyone in your neighborhood about them and their quality of work
- Find out how the company’s number of years in the roofing business
- Check for any online reviews
- See if there is any evidence of their legitimacy online or from any other local sources
Take your time. Make sure you research the company thoroughly.
Finding Legitimate Roofing Companies
If you are in need of a roof job, do not opt for the first person who shows up on your doorstep. Gather all the information possible about the company and its services. In this way, you can avoid being defrauded by unscrupulous individuals who give legitimate roofing companies a bad name.