Accidents happen and no one really plans for them. Dental emergencies are usually the result of accidents and are usually serious enough to require emergency dental treatment, since ignoring a dental emergency could make matters worse and result in you losing your teeth for good. So here is a guide about what to do if you are concerned that you may need emergency dental treatment in Hattiesburg, MS:
1. A toothache is the first thing that comes to your mind on the mention of the word “dentist”. So if you are experiencing severe toothache and you aren’t sure if it’s time to go for emergency dental treatment in Hattiesburg, MS, start by rinsing your mouth with warm water. Use floss to remove any trapped food from the affected area. If the area is swollen as well, apply a cold compress. Don’t wait until the pain is unbearable to get emergency dental treatment.
2. If you have chipped teeth try your best to save the pieces. Rinse your mouth and the broken pieces with warm water. If there’s bleeding, stop it by applying a clean piece of gauze with pressure and a cold compress to keep it from swelling. Get emergency dental treatment as soon as possible.
3. If the tooth has been knocked out, rinse it and put it in a glass of milk until you can bring it to your emergency dental treatment. Do not remove the tissue fragments attached to it, since there is still a possibility that it can be put back into its original place. Teeth have the highest chance of being saved if treated by a dentist within an hour of being knocked out.
4. If you have lost a tooth filling, fill the cavity with sugarless chewing gum or an over the counter dental cement until you can go to the dentist. For a lost crown, broken braces with wires sticking into your cheeks or gums, or anything else that makes it hard or impossible to use your mouth, you need emergency dental treatment in Hattiesburg, MS.
5. In case you have developed abscesses, this too needs to be treated as soon as possible. This is important because abscesses are infections and can damage tissue and surrounding teeth. The infection will spread, so be sure to get it treated as soon as possible.
These are just a few major dental emergencies that warrant emergency dental treatment in Hattiesburg, MS. Don’t hesitate to contact your dentist any time you think something may be wrong with your teeth.
Smile Time Family Dentistry offers emergency dental treatment in Hattiesburg, MS. For family dentistry, regular check-ups, and emergencies, you can’t do better than Smile Time Family Dentistry.